19th-20th May: Bonsai Horizons:
- Top Floor of the Calamvale Hotel, 678 Compton Road, Calamvale.
- Join the Bonsai Society of Queensland’s event. Demonstrations and workshops by bonsai artists Joe Morgan-Payler and Hugh Grant, with a range of other artists providing tutorials throughout the weekend.
- The weekend will give you an opportunity to listen and interact with a range of bonsai artists, as well have plenty of time to work on your own trees, either by yourself or with the help of an expert tutor.
- Social interaction will be encouraged with dinners on Friday and Saturday nights. There is accommodation available at the venue providing the perfect opportunity for a bonsai getaway weekend.
Go to www.bonsaisocietyqld.asn.au for more details.
16th June: Esk Garden and Lifestyle Fair
- The Old Railway Station, Pipeliner Park, Esk-Hampton Road, ESK
- 8 am till 3 pm – Gold coin entry.
- Quality stallholders Numerous plant stalls, inspirational speakers Scarecrow display & contest. Delicious food & specialty coffee. Free off-street parking. A real country garden fair, something for everyone…
13th-15th July Queensland Garden Expo, Nambour
- Queensland Garden Expo is a ‘must see’ in 2018 for green thumbs and novice gardeners alike. Held in the Sunshine Coast hinterland town of Nambour from 13th to 15th July, this three day expo is Queensland’s premier gardening event attracting 40,000 + visitors from all over Australia and New Zealand. Some of Australia’s leading Gardening experts take part in three days of lectures, demonstrations and workshops.See plants, plants and more plants with over 55 nurseries represented and over 360 exhibitors. There is a full program of free lectures and demonstrations on eight “live” stages every day covering a vast array of gardening topics. Head to the Gourmet Garden stage for some great tips on growing your own produce and turning it into delicious gourmet meals. The ‘Giant Kitchen Garden’ features a totally organic food court with a fully planted sustainable garden constructed onsite. Get free help with gardening problems and plant identification from the onsite Plant Clinic and be inspired by the fantastic arrangements in the Floral Design Competition.Come spend the weekend visiting the Queensland Garden Expo and exploring our naturally refreshing Sunshine Coast region – return home relaxed and inspired!
- Location: Coronation Avenue, Nambour
- Operates: Friday 13th, Saturday 14th & Sunday 15 July, 2018. Gates open 8am daily.
20th – 23rd July 31st Australian National Bonsai Convention:
- “Bonsai Exposed”
- Mantra Bell City, Melbourne
- Hosted by Bonsai Northwest Inc. in partnership with the Association of Australian Bonsai Clubs Ltd.
- Presenters and workshops: Bjorn Bjorholm, Joe Morgan-Payler, Hanh Tran and Michael Simonetto.
- Share with the rest of Australia the incredible beauty of bonsai in their winter silhouettes. Deciduous trees will be bare of any foliage, revealing their detailed ramification and branch structure that has been carefully and meticulously developed over the years. Pines and conifers will be at the pinnacle of their beauty after autumn maintenance work and displayed at their breathtaking best.
- The Great Victorian Bonsai Nursery Tour will be held on the Friday with four of Melbourne’s finest bonsai nurseries on the itinerary.
- Private Masterclasses, bonsai critique, additional workshops, the exhibition and vendor sales makes this a unique opportunity to enjoy the best.
19th August Japanese Cultural Day 10am to 3pm
- Brisbane Botanic Gardens Mt Coot-tha, 152 Mt Coot-tha Road, Toowong.
- Celebrate Japan Week with traditional Japanese music, tea ceremony, calligraphy, ikebana, kimono dressing and taiko drumming as well as delicious Japanese food.
24th – 26th August Tops Weekend
- The Tops Convention Centre, 51 Bendena Gardens, Stanwell Tops, NSW 2508
- Join the Illawarra Bonsai Society for weekend workshops, demonstrations and masterclasses.
- From Friday night dinner to a full Saturday and Sunday of Bonsai immersion.